March 27, 2013

California Girls part 3

http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/896fe3508c3f11e2a5f122000a1f96b9_7.jpg 

            The rest of our trip involved relaxing in the country, a trip to Sutter's Fort and a day trip to Tahoe.

http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/707d58128c3c11e2979522000a9f309d_7.jpg
↑↑After I took this picture, I went back to the house and left Jenna to her exploring. When she came back she told us that she'd been shocked by the electric fence. Naturally we told her to be careful next time. The next day at dinner she told us she'd accidentally been shocked two more times. Naturally.↑↑
↑↑Freshly squeezed orange juice... delicious.↑↑

↑↑Mom helping grandpa built a hot house, aka a green house.↑↑

 ↑↑This is Wendy's son, Max. He's such a cutie! He would do this scrunchy face whenever he smiled, I loved it!↑↑


I went to Sutter's Fort in 4th grade for a field trip- when we lived in California. Going to another state for a field trip is college stuff. Or if you're really adventurous, going to another country. One day Rachel, one day... Anyway, back to the field trip. We stayed over night and I just remember loving it. I really wanted to go back now that I'm older and let the memories live again. And they did.



↑↑Leather art. The man said that the saddle was all done by hand.↓↓





 ↑↑They had a gun shooting presentation. The participants were all men who worked at the different stations in the fort. As they were loading the guns, the man in charge (left picture, man standing in front of the well) said, "Now if this was a real battle, well, they'd need to be a lot quicker." Just as he finished, one of the men loading his gun chimed in, "We'd be dead!" Yes they would. Thank goodness it was only a demonstration.↑↑

Up in Tahoe, my uncle Glen took us on a tour of the ski resort, Northstar. Now I tried skiing once, and I had a panic attack. Why? Because I did not like feeling like my legs were not my own, but rather, glued to long awkward pieces of wood. Not gonna happen. We rode the gondola up to the top of the mountain. Glen showed us the restaurant up there which had a gorgeous view of the mountains and had me imagining being a pioneer. I'm thinking things like, 'that mountain doesn't look too far away. I could make it there by the end of tomorrow. Wait, I'd be walking. Give me at least a week.' Having a bird's eye view of things is deceiving. You can see the general landscape, but not the ups and downs- the valleys, cliffs and dead ends. Pretty amazing, those pioneers. I have a lot of respect for them.

We also went to Lake Tahoe. More like a mini ocean if you ask me. Jenna found some crawdad legs and a head. Charming. I brought home a bag of sand. Call me weird. No really, go ahead. It was black sand and it was so soft and I had to have some. Running sand through my fingers is very therapeutic for my anxiety. That's why I took it, okay! It was necessary.

 The end.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Loved all three parts! GREAT pictures! See you soon:)