March 27, 2013

California Girls part 2

↑↑ We didn't just go under the Forest Hill Bridge- that would be 50%. And I'm all about 100%. ↑↑

 ↑↑ That's the trail we were on. Its a long ways down.↑↑

psst- my uncle Mark suggested I spit off the bridge. When he asked if I did, I replied as any normal girl would- "I couldn't bring myself to hack anything up. That's disgusting."

↑↑ They were doing construction on the bridge. That space on the right picture with the yellow ropes was like a net in case anyone fell. Awesome. ↑↑

↑↑ As I mentioned in my previous post, we had lunch next to a waterfall. It wasn't giant, but waterfalls are, 
in a word, ethereal. ↑↑

This waterfall was in the middle of a canyon. The road to get there was an old one-car dirt road built by gold-seekers. It was terrifying. It goes all the way through the canyon. It reminded me of the many years I rode to Girls Camp. How do the bus drivers not fall off the side of the mountain? They're driving buses! I will never understand.

Back to the story. Right next to the waterfall was an old cave that the Chinese had made in their search for gold. We went in. I had a tiny nervous breakdown. You need to know that I get claustrophobic in small spaces. And have tiny nervous breakdowns. A little ways in we approached a section where you either had to crawl on your hands and knees or, if you have awesome thigh muscles, squat and start walking. I can proudly say I was able to do the latter. Before however, I practically fell to the ground muttering things like, "I'm gonna die. Why did I try to be brave and come in to this underground death hole? I'm gonna die." How did the story play out? I had a couple more breakdowns and on our way back out, I literally burst through the opening into the fresh air and sunlight and vowed I would never do something so horrible again.


↑↑ We stopped and hiked down to this dam and resevior. I waited for these logs to fall but they never did. Bummer. What? Sometimes things falling a very long way is cool. ↑↑

↑↑ This totally reminded me of "Hot Lead and Cold Feet" (watch the trailer here)- you know, the part where he makes it to the dock after the canoe challenge and the bad guys give him whiskey instead of water and he remarks that it's very tasty water. Then they send him on his way to the next challenge- practically drunk. Such a hilarious movie. ↑↑

1 comment:

Kate said...

Rachel, i really like what you did with all the pictures, and yes, i really do love your writing. I like the lighting that you did on the pictures. Good job!