January 5, 2012

Forks Round 2. Part 2

The beaches at La Push (about a 20 mile drive from Forks) are quite stunning. The islands a little way out are so fun and if the water weren't who knows how cold, I would have swam out to meet them.

We went to two different beaches. At First Beach, there are piles and piles of driftwood you have to maneuver your way through to get down to the sand. It's quite the challenge- especially when the wind is trying to tackle you.

La Push first beach

Anna, Rachel, Jenna, and Kate

cool tree trunk

K, R, A, J

Kate, Rachel and Anna

Anna (and R)

driftwood

Jenna

As I said, the wind was crazy. We (I) convinced everyone to attempt to walk this strip of driftwood debris. It looked easy enough from a distance. But as we started the adventure, it became quite dangerous. Imagine a very strong ocean wind, and a big strip of rocks, driftwood, moss and drop-offs. Get the picture? Anyways, lets just be honest and say that as soon as I slipped and fell a few times, I was NOT laughing in the face of danger.
 La Push beach

However, I did laugh when Jenna made her way over to where I was. She came dressed in layer after layer after layer of coats of all sizes. My mom explained saying, "It's to add some weight so she doesn't blow away." We laughed because as funny as it sounded, it was too true.
laughing at Jenna's MANY layers... so she wouldn't fly away. The wind was craaaazy and she's as light as a feather.

girls

Kate

Tammy

Our destination: giant log.
girls on giant log

Our journey description: running desperately to beat the water to the log.
girls running to beat the water to the log

Jenna, Anna, Kate and Rachel

Laughing as Anna runs as fast as she can to escape the incoming water. Timing was key...

You may not be able to tell from the picture, but my mom was in serious danger of falling down one of those drop-offs I was telling you about. She swayed a couple of times, and we laughed about her pose- which didn't help her case at all.
Tammy

Upcoming: Kate's little story...
Kate

3 comments:

Maddie said...

That is an incredible journey! I love the part when Jenna had to have extra coats!

~Maddie

Lani said...

Did you take most of the pictures? There awesome!

Keith said...

I almost felt like I was there. Northwest coast...nothing else like it. Great photos--nice work!